L 24 St Bartholomew Church

Shaft with damaged capital and moulded base with spur ornamentation

Shaft with damaged capital and moulded base with spur ornamentation

 

Springing stone. Attributed by Milner to the cloister arcade of the Abbey, with chevron ornament on one side and a variation of egg and tongue on the other. The curves show a span of 3 feet for each arch.

Springing stone. Attributed by C J P Cave to the cloister arcade of the Abbey, with chevron ornament on one side and a variation of egg and tongue on the other. The curves show a span of 3 feet for each arch.

 

 

PWCM_37293Asml PWCM_37293Bsml PWCM_37293Csml PWCM_37293Dsml PWCM_37293Esml PWCM_37293Fsml PWCM_37293Gsml PWCM_37293Hsml PWCM_37293Isml PWCM_37293Jsml PWCM_37293Ksml PWCM_37293Lsml PWCM_37293Msml PWCM_37293Nsml PWCM_37293Osml PWCM_37293Psml PWCM_37293Qsml PWCM_37293Rsml PWCM_37293Ssml PWCM_37293Tsml

The photos show the faces of the capitals (c.1130) from Hyde Abbey and displayed in the parish church of St Bartholomew, Hyde. St Bartholomew acted as the church for the laypeople of the Abbey and the parish during the period up to the dissolution of the Abbey in 1538. (copyright photographs courtesy of John Crook.)

 

St Bart Stone 1

Recycled stone in the west face of the  church

 

 

St Bart stone 2

Recycled stone on the W face of the tower

Archives